Welcome to the Department of Pediatrics. Please review information and complete the tasks below to begin your onboarding journey.
Set UW Directory Information
Your email display name is inherited from the Preferred Name set in this step. It may take several hours for UW systems to update.
- Log in to Identity.UW (https://identity.uw.edu/).
- Click edit next to Preferred Name, and enter your preferred first name and last name. If your first or last name is hyphenated or a two-part name, please enter both parts in the First Name or Last Name field.
- Click Agree & Save Name.
Set Up and Access Email
- Visit UW Email Forwarding (https://uwnetid.washington.edu/manage/?forward)
- Forward your UW email to UW Office 365.
Note: Auto-Forwarding your email to @seattlechildrens.org or other UW Medicine approved domain is also permitted, but UW Medicine policy prohibits setting email auto-forwarding to UW-Gmail or other 3rd party email providers not explicitly approved.
You can access your email using:
- Outlook on the web (https://outlook.office.com/mail/inbox)
- Microsoft Outlook on your Department of Pediatrics computer.
- Any mobile device using the Outlook app.
Manage Microsoft 365 Profile (optional)
Your Microsoft 365 profile picture and information are seen throughout the Microsoft 365 app suite (Outlook, Teams, SharePoint, etc.)
- Log in to Microsoft 365 using your UW email address: https://www.office.com/
- Select Work or school account
- In the top, right corner of your browser, click on your initials.
- In the window that pops up, hover over your larger initials, and click the camera icon to change your profile picture.
- Optionally, click the My Office profile button and add some text to the About me field.
Review Appropriate Use Guidelines
The University of Washington is a state institution and is governed by State and Federal laws, policies, and guidelines. Every new hire is required to read the UW’s guidelines that govern the use of university information and computing resources.
Receive Department Computing Equipment
Prior to your first day, you or your supervisor will schedule an IT Quickstart Appointment to:
- Receive department computing equipment and accessories.
- Fill out and sign the Off-Site Computing Agreement and return to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Verify access by logging on to department computer with UW NetID credentials.
- Verify U and R drive access if applicable.
Access File Storage and Understand Backups
Several file storage options are available to the Department of Pediatrics. Individual computers are not backed up and files must be stored in one of the locations below to ensure they are backed up.
- Pediatrics Network Storage
- U:\ Drive – Your Files. Access is restricted to only you.
- R:\ Drive – Shared Folders for divisions, labs and other work units which are access restricted by specific workgroups
- Microsoft Teams File Storage
- Consult your supervisor to determine if a Team exists for your workgroup
- Microsoft OneDrive
- Similar to “Dropbox”
- Turn on Protected Folders and use PC Sync to backup your Documents, Desktop and Pictures folders.
Connect to Wi-Fi
There are two wireless networks on the UW campus, eduroam and University of Washington. We recommend that you use “eduroam” for all devices. The eduroam network is encrypted and secure, unlike the “University of Washington” network.