The University of Washington Department of Pediatrics invites students from American and Canadian allopathic and osteopathic medical schools to do 4th year rotations at the University of Washington Medical Center and Seattle Children's.
International (non-Canadian) Students:
Please go to: Guidelines and Policies for International Students
United States and Canadian Allopathic and Osteopathic Students:
- All visiting students pursuing an elective in the Department of Pediatrics must apply to and be accepted by the University of Washington Visiting Student Program. Visit their website to start the process: UW Visiting Student Program
- SPACE IS LIMITED. Students should apply for and rank multiple electives in VSAS in order to increase chances of receiving an elective offer.
- Please note the following:
- Read the application requirements carefully!
- The Pediatric Medical Student Program will not consider applications received less than six weeks before the start of a rotation period.
- All applicants are required to provide a current CV and letter of recommendation. CV’s and LOR’s must be uploaded through VSAS. Your application will not be considered without these materials. Letters of recommendation do not need to be from a pediatrician but should be from a faculty member who has worked with you in a clinic setting. Letters of recommendation should be signed (e-sig OK) and on official letterhead.
- Please do not send inquiries about availability. Enrollment can vary widely throughout the academic year and any information provided is likely to be inaccurate by the time we are placing students in available rotations.
- Rotations between July and October are often full and hard to get into
- All PEDS rotations are done at Seattle Children's except for PEDS 669, which is at UW Medical Center
- For information on the rotations we offer to visiting students and the UWSOM Clinical Schedule:
- Offers are made in VSAS and come paired with an email offer from the UWSOM Visiting Student Program
- This email contact will outline the next steps toward registering for a rotation.
- You are guaranteed an elective spot only after you receive a confirmation of registration from the Medical Student Office.
- Where we are
- Seattle Children's is located at Sand Point Way and 50th in Seattle about 2 miles north of the UW Medical Center.
- Staying in Seattle
- Getting here:
- Metro King County bus systems #'s 25 and 75 stop at Children's. Check out the metro transit website at:
- A free shuttle runs between the UW Medical Center and Children's.
- All medical students park at the 65th and Magnuson parking lot, located 1.5 miles NE of Children's.
A free shuttle runs every seven minutes, M-F, 5:45A-8:30P. Students working at the Hospital later than 8:30P can park at Children's after 2:30P and anytime on holidays and weekends.
- Eating at the Hospital
- The cafeteria serves vegetarian items and a few vegan items.
- Starbucks has gourmet coffee, pastries and lunch items.
- Lunch is provided at the Resident teaching lunch-time Conference five days a week. Students who attend the conference are welcome to partake in the food.
- Most UW Pediatrics residents did not do a visiting student rotation. If you don't get a rotation here, it does not lower your chances of getting an interview.
- Placement in an elective in pediatrics does not guarantee you a pediatrics residency interview.